In the grand scheme of you business strategy there are many things to take into consideration in gaining new customers or making sales. Online is the best place to reach people with over 3 billion people using the internet globally per day and out of that the vast majority using facebook. So many will use Bing, Google or Facebook adverts to increase brand awareness, and get people (driving traffic) to their offers and or services.
So why have a blog?
- Blogs are ranked in google and will appear in the organic search NOTE: Organic search is free and appears in the Left side of google results where as paid ads appear on the right and the first couple of lines at the top.
- Emails are not ranked nor is facebook posts
- Key way to build and maintain a relationship with your audience by offering them information and value
- You can access free qualified traffic because they are searching for your topic.
What Blog Site?
There are many available; Tumblr/ live journal/ eblogger / wordpress among the most popular.
I recommend wordpress personally due to the functionality it offers. However there are two options available here is a quick guide to help you decide which is the right fit for you.
I recommend WordPress.org and this is where I am writing to you from. It makes sense from the long term perspective as it is the best place to have control over the content and how and where it is seen. The whole point of a blog is so it reaches people, right?
There are lots of hosts that are recommended; Host gator, Blue Host, WP Engine are just some examples. These are ones I have heard recommended by other bloggers and Blue Host I have personally had dealings with.
These are plugin's that I have found useful and have come highly recommended to me;
- All In One SEO Plugin (for ranking your site on Google)
- Pretty Link (for anyone wanting to cloak links for their ads, ideal for affiliate marketers)
- Google XML Sitemap (you will need this for ranking)
- Top Comments Widget (This is to encourage comments and engagement on your blog)
- Robots txt (you will also need this for the google ranking process)
The important part is to ensure that your blog gets seen and indexed with Google and I will write a separate post on how to do this.
What Do I Blog about and How Often?
It is important that you are consistent with blogging if you can start off blogging a couple of times a week and schedule the posts to go live at the same time so your audience will anticipate the next blog post.
Some people say blog every day and this is great if you are coming up with valuable content. Don't blog for the sake of blogging that will hurt your credibility in the long term. Quality over Qunatity!!!!
Think about what your audience wants/needs to know and give it to them. Make sure you are always thinking about those nuggets of information you have learnt that can save your audience time, money etc. What pains do they have? Then give them solutions to their pains.
This is where knowing your audience is critical because you will loose them if you post irrelevant waffle on a subject that does not resonate with them. Then get started! Enjoy the process of getting to know and interacting with your audience on a whole new level.
If you have found this useful please leave a comment and if you have any comments about how you believe this could be improved then also let me know I am always open to feedback and how I can give you more. Why not also connect with me on facebook…